The University of Maryland Medical System
250 W. Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Contact for Broker Support Unit (BSU):
NOTE: UMHA’s BSU is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. They can help answer questions regarding benefits, medicare eligibility, subsidy levels, and lead status. However, they will not be able to answer questions regarding commissions, contracting, requests for marketing materials, claims, or billing.
Contact for Help with Contracting and Accessing the Agent Portal, Cavulus, or the Online Training:
Contact for Commissions:
Contact for Requests for Marketing Materials:
Link to UMHA’s Agent Portal:
Link to UMHA’s Provider Directory:
Provider Nomination Form:
Would you like to nominate a provider to join the University of Maryland Health Advantage network? Simply fill the UMHA’s Provider Nomination Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then, UMHA will reach out to the provider.
Please note that UMHA will not consider providers owned by Kaiser Permanente, MedStar Health, and Johns Hopkins at this time.
- Medicare Advantage
Certification Start Date:
Is AHIP required?
No. UMMS accepts both AHIP and Gorman.
What is the cost of AHIP?
It costs $175 if training is taken through AHIP.org.
Can AHIP be used for compliance credit?
Information is currently not available.
Does Carrier reimburse for AHIP?
- UMMS Carrier Specific Training
- Face to face required within first year of being appointed
Is face to face training required?
Yes. It is required for all new agents.
Will certifying for 2016 allow me to sell 2015 products?
UMMS does not have a 2015 product.
Are additional steps required for those certifying for the first time versus those who are recertifying?
Yes. It is required for all new agents. UMMS will have 11 face to face training sessions over a two-week period across the state. They will not be offering webinar training at this time.
How do I retrieve my username and password?
Your username is your MD NPN number and your password is UMHAbroker1! (please do not change the password).
If you forgot your password, you can click the “Forgotten password” link. Submit your username or email address, and you will receive an email that will allow you to reset your password.
Who do I contact at Carrier to confirm certification?
Agents can email Agentcontracting@myriversidehealth.com.
If you further assistance in confirming your certification, you can call Ritter’s Broker Support Unit at 800-769-1847 ext. 902.
Certification Web Link:
Agents will receive an email with a link to the site once they have sent in their AHIP or Gorman certifications.
- Please remember that CMS guidelines state “Brokers and agents under contract to MA organizations may not accept or solicit submission of paper enrollment forms prior to the start of the AEP. MA organizations and their brokers and agents also should remind beneficiaries that they cannot submit enrollment requests prior to the start of AEP.”
- Between October 1 and October 14, agents can leave 2016 enrollment applications with their clients. The client can complete an enrollment application, without assistance from their agent, and mail it directly to the plan. If you choose to leave an application with a client during pre-AEP, please note the following information:
- Agents must ONLY put their Agent ID Number in the “For Agent Use Only” section of the application. They should NOT sign, date, or provide contact information on the application under any circumstance. If agents do not adhere to these instructions, it will result in the rejection of the application and the loss of commission, and possibly termination.
- Clients must use the self-addressed company envelope, provided in the Enrollment Kit, to mail their application to the plan. If a client does not want to mail their application, the agent may return to pick up the application after October 15.
- Starting October 15, agents can help their clients in completing enrollment applications, and agents must complete the entire “For Agent Use Only” section of the application.
Parts of a Compliant Application Submission:
- New Business Fax Cover Sheet
- Scope of appointment (If SOA is not necessary, please indicate that on the New Business Cover Sheet)
- All commissions for University of Maryland Health Advantage (UMHA) are paid to agents byCustom Benefit Plans. This is true regardless of whether you work with a UMHA General Agency or directly withCustom Benefit Plans.
- Commissions are subject to your contract withCustom Benefit Plans, so if you have specific questions about commission payments, you should consult your contract.
- Here are some highlights on commission payments (not a complete list of terms):
- You must be “in good standing” with UMHA in order to receive commissions and renewals.
- Custom Benefit Plans pays commission via Direct Deposit every Friday (with exceptions for holidays) for UMHA. Commissions are generally credited to your bank account 24–48 hours later.
- Custom Benefit Plans will distribute University of Maryland Health Advantage supplies to agents.
- To order supplies, agents can contactCustom Benefit Plans at 866-422-9188